Thursday, July 16, 2009

NMB Entry 8: A long update in coming

The staff have left.

Well actually they left about two weeks ago...

Thus begins a long update so please bear with me. :) Agape week was the last week I left off on and the focus was just that, God's agape (or unconditional) love for us.

In 1 John 3:19 it says;

"We love because He first loved us."

God first loved us! How incredible is that? Agape week was full of realization for me, and the message of unconditional love was definitely needed at that point in the trip. As in any long trip people tend to get frustrated or short with each other, quarrels tend to break out over little things, feelings are hurt, the focus upon God is lost because we are caught up in petty human differences (yes I'm very guilty of this).

But the importance of understanding unconditional love is that it allows us to overlook the flaws of others and to continue to live in peace with our brothers and sisters in Christ. It also helps us appreciate our brothers and sisters more. I'm sure that everyone has known, at some point in their lives, someone who was very conditionally loving; for some it has been fathers who love based upon performance, for others a friend who always hopes to gain something off time spent with you, perhaps it is a dating relationship where love is given only if you please the other.

This world is full of conditional love.

And you see that in today's media and society standards, right? On this reality show everyone is in only if it will profit them (the Bachelor/Double Shot at Love come to mind offhand), or even Paris Hilton's "My New BFF" where friendship is based upon who does the most for Paris. There are plenty of examples, but here is the difference we see in Christ...

In Mark 10:45 Jesus says;

"For even the Son of Man came not to be serve but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."


That just blew my mind.

Jesus himself, though God in the flesh did not come to have people wait upon him like the Lords and royalty of the time. He had all the power of heaven with Him and yet He humbled himself, and not just humbled himself but laid down His life for the people who had wronged Him. He laid down his life!

I have a hard time many days forgiving those that I do love, much less those who I perceive to have done wrong to me (even though more often than not I am a part of the problem) and yet Jesus loved each and every one of us enough to die for us, so that we might experience eternal glory.

That is unconditional.

It is the example that all should strive to follow as well.

See the more I find out about the character of Jesus Christ the more I see what a radical guy he was, not just then, but even in today's American society.

For example Matthew 5:43-47;

“You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that." (NLT)

Love your enemies? Who does that?

Christ did.

So throughout Agape week we focused on encouraging each and loving each other despite flaws we might see.


After Agape week was a week called Answering the Call.

In Mark 8:34 Jesus says;

"And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

Throughout the week we were challenged to accept every invitation issued by fellow project members to go out and share our faith.

Throughout the week I had the privilege to see 8 new brothers accept Christ into their lives, it is really amazing how when you answer the challenge, despite how you personally feel that day, God blesses the willingness to further His Kingdom. :)

That is what Jesus meant when he said 'deny himself'.

So many Christians in this country today buy into 'vanilla ice cream Christianity', yes we believe in God, yes we may know the facts and the figures, but do we really truly follow?

Christ makes it explicitly clear in Mark that if anyone would follow him, he must deny his own selfish/complacent desires, and actually pick up his own cross.

Well what does that mean to me?

Is it stepping outside my comfort zone to share my faith with someone? Is it giving up a summer to work and chill with my friends to pursue deepening my relationship with Him? Is it giving up a dream for a future that I know will not be glorifying to Him but will only be comfortable to me?

What does picking up the cross look like to you?

This was extremely convicting to me throughout the Answer the Call week. I realized that, yes, I have given my life to Christ, but would I be willing to follow Him anywhere He might lead? Or am I just going to paste the label of 'Christian' upon myself and live a comfortable life in the United States of America, where I do not have to do anything but put my life in 'cruise control' get a typical career, settle down with a family, and not have to pursue the lost in any way shape or form.

That of course lead to another convicting realization; what are my priorities?

Is God in fact my number one priority, and through Him blessings will come? Or am I focusing on doing things in my life first, before I fully give up control?

The disciples of Christ gave up their careers and their families of the time, simply because Jesus said; 'Come and I will make you fishers of men.'

These disciples did not stop there however, each and every one of them (except for John) died a martyrs death for Him!

Hebrews 11:32-40;



"And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. They were stoned; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.


These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect."

And yet in America today Christians are too afraid to not fit in, or to be laughed at...

Really?



We are in the midst of Feeding the Faith week right now so more updates will come promptly.

I will leave you with one verse of encouragement that I have kept close to my heart this last week and a half or so.

1 Peter 4:12-16,19:

"Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.

Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good."


Hope this message finds you well and blessed!

Your Brother in Christ,
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment